April 20, 2015 by museofmanymasks
As a reader of novels and viewer of kdramas, I look for titles to grab me. As a writer, sometimes the pithy/quirky/witty/never-before-seen title comes before I even have a plot (most advise against this, but I’m a special snowflake). Anyways the name museofmanymasks started for commenting. It was a mouthful, but I wouldn’t forget it, or be confused with someone else as might happen with a more generic name.
- As in the Greek muse of comedy, Thalia, who I identify as my favorite Grecian muse (as one does)
- I like funny stuff (to each his own whether I myself am or not)
- She is also the muse of bucolic poetry. I write poetry. The bucolic part is irrelevant though I do like lamb chops.
- many masks:
- I’ve always been interested in masks and their cultural significance around the world whether they be for performances, wars, or ceremonies.
- I, as well as most people on the interwebs (and in real life), don a mask–a persona if you will–when they present themselves to the masses.
- Also inspired by one of my favorite poems, We Wear the Mask by Paul Laurence Dunbar, which reflects the sentiment given above
Because the name is so long, it may be convenient to shorten it. Here, we run into a problem. It spells “momm”. I love my mother but am not one yet. I would argue versions of me are very motherly (depending with whom I’m talking to) but we shouldn’t jinx anything right? This is a dilemma. Can I be like Prince and just address myself as the Blogger Formerly Known As [insert name of the month]? You all can keep calling me Muse or whatever. Wait, that’s not any shorter. Hmph. Luckily, the blog shortens much better, see? it spells MUFO which is almost like MOFO, and therefore amusing.
One day, #mommisamufo will trend on Twitter. Please support my delusions of grandeur.